Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 163, Saturday, June 12, 2010


Today was Harold  Heemstra's funeral
at Fulton Manor Nursing Home.
He was 90 years old, and died last Wed.

His daughters, Joanell, Mary, and Kristin
are pictured above.
These girls have meant much to me
throughout my life.
Mary was the first baby I really
fell in love with, and I took care of
her nearly everyday--
including being with her
in the hospital daily when she
accidentally swallowed Draino.
Her Mom, Joanne, had a bad back
problem, and her Dad was out of state.

Mary was about 15 months old, and
I was SO worried about her.

One day a resident walked in, and
thought I was her mother--oh, but
he made my day!  I was about 15!!

I babysat for all 4 of the kids, but Mary, as the
baby, was the one that I took for walks
so her Mom could do her work!

I flew out to Iowa to attend Mary's
wedding to Barry Nikkel, and later,
when they moved to Indiana,
Mary came up to GR, and I took care of
her little girls, Ann Marie & Susan.
Rosie is in between them in age.

I saw them today, too, and they remembered
me--and Rosie!

Six years ago their brother, Michael,
died suddenly, and 3 years ago their Mom,
Joanne, died.
Been a rough time for these ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment